Saturday, July 31, 2010

1st August 2010: The Journey Begins.

Tonight is not an ordinary night as I expected it would be, albeit 12 midnight spells my 22nd birthday. Long have been the years when I gleefully waited for the date 1st of August to come every year, probably since I was 13 or 14. It was the day when I would have my friends to come along and sing the usual birthday "anthem". Then the new toys, clothes, and even cash would follow.

Those were the days.

Later on, there were no more birthday parties, there were usually annual family dinners to commemorate 4 birthdays together: my father's(18th August), my eldest brother's(31st August), me and my little sister(18th August). Then I went to a boarding school, and since then my birthday is just an ordinary day to me until now.

I stumbled upon a book amongst my father's humongous collection. It is not the book which shouts "pick me, pick me!", but nevertheless the title of the book caught my eye.

The cover is very simple, a beige centre, with a half-a-ruler's thick of dark brown border, and sandwhiched between them a sliver of white line. The title is in dark brown, and is somewhat expressed subtly and with tranquility, it says; "The Ideal Muslim".

Authored by Dr Muhammad Ali Al-Hashimi and translated by Nasiruddin al-Khattab, it is the best gift I have received in my life for now. Subhanallah, I read it page by page, slowly and found many answers that I seek for all these years. This book is based on the Quran and Sunnah, how complete they are  in guiding us! I was astonished, thinking about all these years I have been reciting the Quran blindly and listening to Hadith and subsequently forgetting it.

I hope to read it slowly and share what I understand in this blog. To my fellow brothers and sisters who stumbled upon this blog, I do appreciate words of advice from you.

Assalamualaikum.

No comments:

Post a Comment